music


MusicPlaylist
Music Playlist at MixPod.com


profile

Yeeshian Sim's Profile
Yeeshian Sim's Facebook Profile
Create Your Badge


i am shaine
and i will be 23
coming august 31st.




archives

January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
January 2011
February 2011
April 2011
May 2011
July 2011
October 2011
December 2011
January 2012
June 2012
October 2012






footprints

xoxo




Friday, June 22, 2012 @ 1:16 AM
USA Trip Part 1

WOW Blogspot has changed so much since the last time I actually logged in (which was almost half a year ago). Reading my previous posts, it seemed like yesterday that I just booked tickets to U.S.A and now, I am back for more than 2 weeks already! How time flies. The time spent in LA, LV and SF is definitely the best time of my life. I have been experiencing the best things that life has to offer since my internship to Shanghai almost 3 years ago, and life just keeps getting better and better. I am really, really thankful for that!

It was complete chaos the couple of days before I was supposed to fly off. All the last minute packing, last minute tuition to prepare for the mid-year exams, all the tests and exams that I have myself, and projects and assignments. BOY, thinking back about it, how did I even survive?! Well, I'm glad I did survive that helluva semester because the US trip was really da bomb.

We had to take the torturous torturous torturous flight ((no amount of repetition can emphasize how terribly uncomfortable the flight was) from Singapore to Dubai, waited 3 hours like fools at the airport, then transfer to another flight from DXB to LAX. The plane was mighty crammed and we had hardly any leg space! My legs are not exactly long and I am saying this, what about the other poor ang mohs on the same flight?!


LAX was magical because it was our first stop, and everything fascinated us (like how the traffic light flashed white instead of green when it's time for pedestrians to cross. OH, and how cheap Starbucks was). We were at Hollywood where the white H-O-L-L-Y-W-O-O-D letters were there, visible and right smack in front of us on the highway. There was Disneyland which I have dreamt of visiting since I was 3 years old.




There was Universal Studios Hollywood which had rides which were waaaaay more exciting than the ones in Singapore. There was the awesome feeling of being a minority and everyone else around you is considered good-looking. Well, after a while we could tell who were the good-looking ang mohs vs the not-as-good-looking ones. LAX was not so accessible via public transport though. We got lost while wanting to head to the Farmer's Market and ended up in Korean Town, where we had awesome Korean food for dinner instead.

We were reluctant to say goodbye but we had to, because the desert land Las Vegas beckoned to us. Checked in at the dorm, reunited with QY (who was my awesome dorm-mate throughout the 2 weeks stay), and basically tried to settle down by unpacking and shifting furniture around. Our dorm is really a cozy little room that really needed some sound-proofing because people in the corridors could hear what others in the rooms were saying.







The dorm may have been a disaster zone but it was a little sanctuary amidst the havoc that we had at Vegas. I loved my dorm very much. 










After talking about the dorm, I am going to introduce my 2nd most favorite building in UNLV. My favorite building in UNLV was the dining common because that was where we could get "free" food (since everything was already pre-paid to ensure we don't starve to death after we become bankrupt from shopping). My number two favorite place has got to be the recreation center, where the gym is. 



God, if it weren't for the gym, I would have gained weight with all that pigging out! Fortunately, I didn't and it's all thanks to da gym. I am missing it already! :( I want a gym in the Singapore campus toooo.

Thrill rides in Las Vegas was well... not too bad. The New York New York roller coaster was pretty awesome, because it was so high up and the climb up that steep slope is always the scariest part. KX, Rayna, Joanne, Janice and I went to take the roller-coaster in our formal attire (after the hotel visits) so it was really funny and epic.

We bought the family package, which explains why we had the photo. It was fun, fun, fun because we had good company as well.


Another awesome possum thrill ride that anyone who visits Vegas MUST take is the X-Scream at Stratosphere. Holy macaroni, that was the first time I screamed a swear word in my life of taking thrill rides. Good lord Holy Mother of God, THAT RIDE IS A MUST TRY. BRAVE THE WIND AND RAIN AND SUN ALSO MUST TRY. Had good company for that Stratosphere visit too, with Oli and met QQ + Pei Xi by chance so it was super duper fun.

Las Vegas was all about trying new things, visiting new places, exploring and all. There was hardly any time when we were at the dorm because we were always out somewhere having something to do. Las Vegas is truly a city that never sleeps, and every night is a freaking Friday night. The clubs there are so damn fun that nothing can ever compare, nothing. NOTHING.





Favourite clubs included Marquee and Surrender. I was bounced out of Marquee once due to an epic answer to a stupid question. I think it was too funny and I will probably laugh about it 10 years down the road. We visited a strip club too; however it got a little boring at the end as we realized every single performance was the same.




We visited Hoover Dam and Red Rock Canyon for our school trip. Felt like a secondary school excursion all over again with the packed lunches and the excitement of visiting a new place with classmates! The wind was mighty strong as Hoover Dam and none of the pictures turned out fine. All of us looked like balding people with extremely high foreheads.

OF COURSE, how can we forget the ever-so-breathtaking sights and sounds that we experienced over in Las Vegas?! There was the Bellagio water fountain show which QY and I loved so much, we went there on separate occasions just to watch it again. Favourite song has got to be "My Heart Will Go On" by Celine Dion. Watching the show really made us 感动到....

Grand Canyon was another place which totally awed me. Seeing it in movies and picture postcards was already majestic enough. Wait till you meet Mr. Grand Canyon in person. FALL IN LOVE AND GO ROM STRAIGHTAWAY. <3 Beautiful view, beautiful night-sky, tranquillity. Watched the sunset and the sunrise, and one can never help but wonder at the miracles of nature. I really loved it there so much I couldn't bear to leave. We stayed at Grand Canyon for a night, and it was another 4 hours drive back to UNLV where we were having lessons the next day.

--- To be continued